uk bg-study abroad
university-study abroad
English Score


Visa Fee
visa fee-study sbroad
INR 26000
Living Cost
wallet-study abroad
INR 8 - 15 Lakhs
Part-Time Jobs
timer-study abroad
20 Hrs/Week
Work Permit
bag-study abroad
  • • 4 of the top 10 universities on the planet are in the UK

  • • 1,000 years of extraordinary academic innovation - currently the UK ranks third in the world for innovation

  • • World class teaching that nurtures creative thinkers - the UK has 19 universities with a 5-star Teaching rating, more than any other country

  • •The UK leads the world in quality research - the UK has overtaken the US to rank first by field-weighted citation impact (an indicator of research quality)

  • • 91 per cent of international undergraduates are happy with their experience in the UK

  • • A safe, multicultural country – the UK is home to over 400,000 international higher education students each year

  • • 38 per cent of Nobel prize winners who studied abroad did so in the UK

  • • Students in the UK enjoy a great lifestyle: beautiful countryside, historic sites, city life and music and culture

UK further education courses fall into two categories: academic and vocational. Academic courses, which help you prepare for higher education, or vocational courses, which give you the skills required for your chosen career. You can choose to study online, on campus in the UK or even on a campus in your home country.


All UK further education institutions are held to strict quality standards, so that you can be sure that you are getting a world class education.

They are innovative, with state-of-the-art facilities mirroring the work-place. They make use of the latest technologies to teach and learn, and offer virtual reality employment-based learning experiences.

Many of these institutions encourage entrepreneurial learning, including a focus on social enterprise activities. This develops innovative approaches and creative and critical thinking skills that allow you to set up your own enterprises, or rise to positions of influence within existing organisations.

For more information about why to study further education in the UK, visit the Association of Colleges (AoC) website. The AoC also have a useful set of key facts about UK Further Education Colleges.

Types of courses

Further education institutions offer many of the same courses as schools and higher education institutions, as well vocational and technical courses designed to meet the needs of employers. They are taught in a way to suit those who prefer to learn in a vocational context.

Students can choose to pursue study through:

• Academic pathways

- including AS and A levels, International Baccalaureate and undergraduate study – that can lead to university, an apprenticeship or a job.

• Applied general or technical pathways

- including national vocational qualifications and business and technical qualifications – that can lead to higher apprenticeships, higher education at college or university, or a job.

• Occupational or professional pathways

- taken in apprenticeships or through training courses for employees – that can lead to higher apprenticeships, a job or promotion. (As apprenticeships are primarily focused on the job and employment, any international applicant must be eligible to work in the UK, as well as have the necessary visa.)

• Further education institutions

- also offer a range of courses specifically designed for international students, such as

  • • English language courses.
  • • Summer schools.
  • • International diplomas.
  • • Foundation years.
  • • Top up courses.

You can find a list of UK further education colleges on the AoC website, or search for a specific course using the National Careers Service course search.

Quality of Education & Curriculum


International students have always been an important presence in the UK, and their numbers have been growing steadily over the years. In fact, the UK is now the second most popular destination for international students, behind the US.

Quality Assured

All universities and colleges in the UK are held to strict standards by the UK government so you know you are getting the best teaching, support and resources available.

Although UK institutes undertake the responsibility of ensuring standard and quality of different programmes themselves, independent audits are carried out by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA).

Worldwide Recognition

Degrees and qualifications from UK higher education institutions are known around the world as high quality and world class. This standard of excellence is set by some of the older universities with recognizable names, such as Oxford and Cambridge, but the tradition carries through to many of the universities and colleges throughout the UK. When looking for work in the future, this can be a great selling point in your favour.

Choice and flexibility

One of the best things about UK higher education is the chance to really pursue your interests. There are a wide range of courses on offer, from the traditional to the cutting-edge, from Computer Games Development to Entrepreneurship. Many courses also include ‘modules’.

These are different options that allow you to choose from a range of subjects within your course to build a programme that suits you.

Comparison between UK & Other Countries

CountryCost of Living + Tuition
UKINR 19,80,000
USAINR 23,20,000
AustraliaINR 25,00,000

Cost of Living


Total living costs are in the range of INR 8,40,000 – INR 15,00,000 (per year) including accommodation, bills, food, books, transportation and entertainment though this will differ depending on your individual necessities and lifestyle.

Comparison between UK & Other Countries (Total Cost – Living + Education)

Studying in the UK is good value for money – costs here are lower than in both the USA and Australia. According to research by HSBC, the average annual costs for international students were:

  • • INR 19,80,000 in the UK
  • • INR 23,20,000 in the USA
  • • INR 25,00,000 in Australia.


Average annual cost of living in England for students :INR 10,15,000

Most students will spend around INR 12,600 per month on food and groceries, or INR 1,15,000 per academic year.

If you wish to study in London, you should expect to pay INR 12,75,000 per year for the same breakdown of goods and services.

Difference between London and other cities

The biggest difference in the cost of living in London compared to the rest of England is in rent, with University College London (UCL) estimating accommodation expenses of INR 6,75,000 per academic year (nine months).


The National Union of Students card and the International Student Identity Card offer great student discounts in many shops, restaurants and businesses. Have a look to see if you could save money with one of these cards.

Minimum Requirements

UK Border Agency (UKBA),asks international students to provide evidence that they can afford to live and study in the UK for a specified period before being granted aTier 4 (General) student visa.

For visa purposes

International students undertaking study in London must budget £1,265 for each month of stay, while those who study outside of London will have to show £1,015 per month in order to prove they can cover the cost of living in the UK.

Cost of Education


Undergraduate tuition fees in UK

Fees for lecture based courses: INR 8,40,000 per year.

For Medical Degrees: INR 29,40,000 per year.

Postgraduate tuition fees in UK

Fees for classroom-based programs : INR 8,15,000 – INR 27,00,000 per year.

For laboratory-based programs: INR 8,32,547 – 21,01,675 per year

For Clinical degree programs : INR 9,45,753 per year

*Fee is as high as INR 3530814 for programs such as medicine.

At all levels, humanities and social sciences degrees tend to cost the least, while laboratory and clinical degree programs are markedly more expensive.

Food for thought

While these costs may be daunting, remember that most UK universities offer shorter programs compared to countries such as the US (three years for the average undergraduate degree instead of four, and one year for a master’s degree instead of two), so you may be able to subtract a year's worth of fees and living costs from your total budget!

Financial Aid


Scholarships/ Loans

Financing an international education is always difficult. The best approach includes lots of preparation, careful analysis of your budget, and hard work in researching and applying for scholarships. There are a variety of scholarships and loans available to students who wish to study in the UK. Please check out the following resources.

There will be no cap on visas for Indian students wishing to pursue education in the UK, the British envoy said. The British High Commissioner to India noted that the UK has announced 600 scholarships for Indian students aspiring to study abroad.

University Funding


Many universities have funding to help their students fund educational international opportunities. After being accepted onto a programme, contact your university’s international office and inquire if any university funding is offered.

Other than that, the Government as well as various organizations offer scholarships which may be need based or merit based.

Several of the popular kinds of scholarships for Indian students may include the GREAT India Scholarships, Commonwealth Scholarship, Scotland Saltire Scholarships, Goa Education Trust Scholarships, Hornby Scholarships and Charles Wallace india Trust Scholarships.

Visit these links for scholarships

Student Finance

You may be able to borrow money to help pay for university or college tuition fees and to help with living costs.You might get extra money on top of this, for example if you’re on a low income, are disabled or have children.

You start repaying once you earn over a certain amount. The size of your monthly repayments will depend on how much you earn, not what you owe. You’ll be charged interest on the loan from the day you take it out. The terms and conditions can change the parent or partner of a student, you’ll normally need to support a student finance application.

If you’re under 25 and have no contact with your parents or support yourself, you might be able to apply as an 'estranged student'.



Many Indian students in the UK gain work experience along with their study. A part-time job, internship or placement during vacation and volunteering are some ways to develop valuable skills that you can add to your CV. A work placement is a part of the study course for some colleges, and your university or college may assist in providing placement.

Work While You Study

You can work for up to 20 hours a week while you study in the UK. Normal hourly pay is (INR 850- 1000) Each university has a careers center who can assist you in looking for part time employment.

If you are permitted to work, your maximum working hours in term time are:

  • • 20 hours a week if you are studying at degree level or above at a higher education institution (HEI)
  • • 20 hours a week if you are on a study abroad programme at an "overseas higher education institution" in the UK

These hours are in addition to any time you spend on a work placement that is an assessed part of your course - see Work placements and internships.

Always check what the sticker in your passport or your biometric residence permit (BRP) says and make sure that you do not work more hours a week than it allows. It should specify whether you are allowed to work 10 hours or 20 hours a week in term time. It will say if you are not allowed to work.

You can work full time during session break but has to be authorized by university.

How many hours you can work

Can you work ?

Tier 4 (General) students who are sponsored by a higher education institution (HEI) or by an overseas HEI can work during their studies. Tier 4 sponsors are listed by type of institution in the register of Tier 4 sponsors.

Tier 4 (General) students sponsored by a private provider, an embedded college, a publicly-funded college or an independent school cannot work but may be able to undertake work placements that are an assessed part of their course - see Work placements and internships.

Can You Work?

What work am I not allowed to do?

Tier 4 students cannot

  • • Work as a self-employed person
  • • This includes freelancin
  • • Work as an entertainer or professional sportsperson or coach
  • • Take a full time, permanent position
  • • Take a full time internship or work placement during term time that is not an assessed and integral part of your studies

Post Study Work Visa

There have been some changes on the post-study work visa since November 2015. You can now stay in the UK after completing graduation if you hold a job offer with an annual salary of at least 20,800 pounds (Rs. 17.5 lakh).

There is no limit on the number of international students who can stay in the UK upon completion of their course.

In order to work in the UK after completing your studies, you need to switch from a Tier 4 Visa to a Tier 2 General Visa.

You will be required to apply for a work visa from the UK Border Agency, and you can opt from the following, depending on your employment status post study

Tier 2 (General) Visa

Open to recent graduates holding a UK recognized Bachelor's, Master's or PhD degree with a job offer from a licensed employer paying a salary of at least £20,800.

Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa

Open to students who are in process of developing a world-class innovative idea and are sponsored by their university.

Multicultural Environment


The UK is known for its multicultural society, with all religions and faiths represented in some way. With a racial, ethnic and religious jumble, the UK is very open to new traditions and cultures - something that is a great thing for students from other countries!

Cross-cultural experience

There were 4,36,585 international students from 180+ countries studying in the UK last year, out of which Indian students were the 2nd largest group (18,320) Studying in UK is an opportunity to experience a multicultural environment, meet new people and fellow international students from across the world and discover new places. You benefit by developing a range of skills that are necessary to be part of today's global workforce.

Religion in UK

Around 33 million individuals portray themselves as Christian. The other primary religious gatherings incorporate Islam (2,750,566 individuals), Hinduism (823,022), Sikhism (429,949), Judaism (270,159) and Buddhism (255,106)

In the UK, a few people wear their picked religious dress (e.g. a head covering, long skirts, and so forth.) and to watch religious celebrations, for example, Christmas, Eid, Diwali or Hanukkah.

In extensive towns and urban communities over the UK, you will discover houses of worship, mosques, sanctuaries, synagogues, gurdwaras and different spots of love for all the significant beliefs.

Gateway to Europe

With the addition of the Channel Tunnel and low cost airlines such as EasyJet and Ryan Air, Europe is easier to access than ever.


The direct flight would take around two hours and cost anywhere from £30 - £100 depending on when you travel and when you book.

Health Care in UK


The UK's health care system – National Health Service (NHS) is one of the most efficient in the world, according to a study of seven industrialized countries.

The immigration health surcharge will entitle Tier 4 students to access NHS care in the UK free of charge in the same way as a permanent UK resident

*The immigration Health charge is in addition to the standard visa application fee.

Who will be charged for accessing the NHS?

Non-EEA nationals (Indians included) who are visiting the UK and have not paid the NHS surcharge (commonly those entering on a visitor visa/sought entry at the UK border), will be charged for accessing NHS services (except the free services noted above).

Tier 4 students

Those applying for a Tier 4 student visa and coming to the UK for 6 months or longer will be required to pay an immigration health surcharge as part of their visa application fee.


Students will be required to pay £150 (INR)per year of leave granted on their visa. If the leave includes part of a year that is 6 months or less, the amount payable for that year will be £75 (INR).

If the leave includes part of a year that is more than 6 months, the full annual amount of £150 will be payable.

It is a good idea to register with a GP (general practitioner) , a doctor who deals with most general health problems, shortly after you arrive in the UK. Most GP surgeries offer patients a choice of whether they see a male or female doctor.

What all is included?

This includes at the Doctor's surgery (known as General Practitioner or GP), a Healthcare Centre or in a hospital.

What if my visa application is not successful?

If your visa application is not successful, you will automatically be refunded the immigration health surcharge (but not the visa application fee). The surcharge will not be partially refunded if you depart the UK earlier than the expiry of your visa. The surcharge is also not refunded if you do not use the NHS during your time in the UK.


The UK is one of the safest countries in the world, with low crime rates and a trustworthy police force. There are strict laws on gun ownership and gun crime is rare.

Many universities have their own security services who patrol campuses. Your university will usually provide you with information on staying safe on campus.

Explore UK




8.788 million

Places to visit
  • • London Eye
  • • Buckingham Palace
  • • Big Ben
  • • Tower of London
  • • St. Paul's Cathedral

Top Universities in London
  • • Imperial college London
  • • London School of Economics
  • • University of Westminster




Places to visit
  • • Prices Gardens
  • • Royal Botanic Garden
  • • Edingburgh Castle

Top Universities in Edinburgh
  • • University of Edinburgh
  • • Edinburgh Napier University
  • • Heriott- Watt University



2.55 million

Places to visit
  • • John Ryland Library
  • • Room Escape Games
  • • Manchester Museum

Top Universities in Manchester
  • • University of Manchester
  • • Manchester Metropolitan College
  • • The Manchester College



1.101 million

Places to visit
  • • Birmingham Back to Backs
  • • Symphony Hall
  • • Birmingham Hippodrome

Top Universities in Birmingham
  • • Aston University
  • • University of Birmingham
  • • Bermingham City University




Places to visit
  • • Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum
  • • Riverside Museum
  • • Buchanan Street

Top Universities in Glasgow
  • • University of Strathclyde
  • • Glasglow Caledonian University
  • • University of Glasglow

Permanent Residence

In the UK, it is not possible to obtain settlement on the basis of been on a student visa (Tier 4). In other words the student visa route does not lead to settlement. Obtaining settlement in the UK can only be on the basis of the following:

  • • 3 years – As a spouse of a British citizen or based on a high business and financial investment in the UK.
  • • 5 years – On any work immigration route (Tier 2) apart from Tier 2 ICT. Note that you need an employer who has a sponsor licence.
  • • 10 years – Continuous legal residence in the UK for 10 years.
  • • 20 years – A combination of legal and illegal residence in the UK

You would need to find a graduate job paying at least £20500 within 6 (4) months of completing your degree. A graduate job is defined in terms of the immigration rules as a job needing at least an Associate degree qualification. After 5 years you could then apply for "leave to remain" giving you the right to stop in the UK.

Alternatively if you are lucky enough to find a job paying at least £155300 per annum it is very easy to get a work visa. There is no cap on the number of visas the government issues for jobs paying more than £155300 per annum.

Also your employer doesn't need to prove they couldn't find a British or EU worker for such a job.

It can be any job. Footballer, tradesman, Doctor, dentist, banker, lawyer, software engineer, anything.

Permanent residence card

You can apply for a permanent residence card after you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years. This will prove your right to live in the UK permanently.

How long you can stay

You can stay in the UK for up to 5 years after switching to a Tier 2 (General) visa.

Knowledge of language and life

If you’re 18 to 64 years old when you apply you must also pass

When can your application be refused

Your application might be refused if, for example, you’ve

  • • got a criminal record in the UK or another country
  • • provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office
  • • broken UK immigration law

Read the guidance on why applications can be refused

Proof of finances

Read the guidance on the financial requirement

Children 18 and over

Your child 18 or over and over may be eligible to settle if

  • • they have or have had permission to be in the UK as your dependant
  • • you have permission to be in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or settled person

They must meet the same eligibility as a dependent child under 18. They may also need to pass

Your child 18 or over must apply separately on their own form.They need to download and complete form SET(F)(BROKEN LINK).

Life in the UK test

You have 45 minutes to answer 24 questions based on the Life in the United Kingdom handbook.

It is a computer-based test of 24 questions covering topics such as British history, traditions, society, government, values and culture. Pass mark is 75%, hence you need to get atleast 18 correct to progress.

If you have a long-term physical or mental condition - you must provide either a form or letter from a doctor confirming your physical or mental condition

Tips on the test :
  • • Get all the information correctly filled and the relevant ID proof with you
  • • Do the handbook i.e Life in the UK – 3rd edition thoroughly
  • • Do online practice tests to improve your score

Knowledge of English Test

You might need to prove your knowledge of the English language if you’re over 18 and applying for citizenship or to settle in the UK (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’).

You can prove it by having either

You don’t need to prove your knowledge of English in certain circumstances


You’ll get a biometric residence permit (BRP) if you:

You don’t have to apply separately for a BRP. You’ll get one automatically if your visa or immigration application is approved, or you’re replacing an older document.

Why you need a BRP

  • • identity
  • • right to study or work in the UK
  • • right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to

Biometric residence permits
Studying In Motion
uk university-study abroadyt icon-study abroad
uk university- study abroadyt icon-study abroad
uk university-study abroadyt icon- study abroad
uk university-study abroad

Log In

Not a member ? Create Account

AdmitKard-Connect with mentors
Connect with mentors
AdmitKard - Get recommendations
Get recommendations
Admitkard - Apply to 500+ Universities
Apply to 500+ Universities

Already a member ? Log In

AdmitKard-Connect with mentors
Connect with mentors
AdmitKard - Get recommendations
Get recommendations
Admitkard - Apply to 500+ Universities
Apply to 500+ Universities