Do you remember Atishi Marlena, the Rhodes Scholar from India who initiated education-centric reforms in the government-run schools of Delhi? Yes, she is a Rhodes Scholar, one of the five scholars from India who obtain the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship. This scholarship belongs to the Rhodes Trust in Oxford and is a fully-funded scholarship for postgraduate studies at the Oxford University. If you too wish to gain this scholarship, then for your information, the Rhodes Scholarship entries for 2019 have already begun and the deadline for the same is the 31st of July.
The Rhodes Scholarship is an international postgraduate award for students to study at the University of Oxford. Established in 1902, it was the first large-scale programme of international scholarship. It was founded by Cecil John Rhodes, an English businessman and politician. The aim of the scholarship setup was to promote harmony between English speaking nations of the world. In addition, igniting a sense of civic-minded leadership and moral fortitude in the leaders of the upcoming times, was also on the agenda list.
The Rhodes Scholarship offers 5 positions for Indian students. In order to apply for the scholarship, you must fulfill the following:
1. Be a citizen of India
2. You must have completed their formal study at an educational institution in India for a minimum of 4 of the last 10 years, and have either completed a school leaving exam (10th or 12th standard) at a school in India, or have received, or be in the final year of, an undergraduate degree at a university in India.
3. Must be within the age group of 19-25 years. Medical students have one year relaxation.
4. You ought to have completed your graduation degree in First Division or equivalent.
To apply for the Rhodes Scholarship, you need the following set of documents.
A valid passport
A copy of your birth certificate
Transcriptions of the graduation degree
Curriculum Vitae or CV
Scholarship Essay or a Statement of Purpose
6 referees, who will send in their reference letters for you.
To apply for the scholarship, the procedure is given below:
1. Log on to Rhodes Scholarship.
2. File a scholarship application.
3. Submit the references and documents.
Remember, the last to make an application for the Rhodes Scholarship for the year 2019 is, 31st July 2018. Make sure you place your application and submit all documents on time.