Source: Top list Provider
What to do After 12th? This is one question that haunts every 12th grader’s mind. This question is followed by the quest to know the best courses after 12th. It could be Engineering, Accounting, Marketing or Architecture. But, the tougher question is, what suits your stream the best? Since there are so many options out in the open, one minor mistake in decision making either due to negligence or due to the lack of guidance can prove to be fatal for your upcoming career life. So, here is a detailed guide to the Best Courses After 12th with expert guidance and suggestions that make your career bright and prosperous.
What to do After 12th?
As soon as the board results are declared, people send congratulatory messages. But, the message also contains a question that you may not be comfortable answering. The question is, What you will do after 12th? The reason of your discomfort is the fact that you yourself are not clear with the answer.
With a plethora of course and career options in the display, it is natural for things to get complicated. In fact, you definitely don’t want to go wrong with one of the most crucial decisions of your life, which will actually shape your life by large. To ace this decision, here is a comprehensive answer to the Best Courses After 12th.
What are the Best Courses After 12th?
Everybody wishes to pursue the best course in the field of education. A course that is in demand in terms of academics, as well as jobs, can be referred to the ‘best’ course to do. But, what decides which course is the best for you? The answer is your interest and your stream in class 11th and 12th. This is because your board marks in 12th will serve as a prerequisite to your admission into your desired course. For that, you will need to have those subjects as a part of your curriculum in higher secondary. Universities in India and abroad have a wide range of courses to offer in mainstream disciplines. These courses cover a range of academic, research-based as well as professional programs.
1- What are the Best Science Courses After 12th?
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech)
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc)
- Architecture (B.Arch)
- Bachelor of Computer Applications (B.C A)
If you have opted for science in the 12th grade, then you have plenty of options to consider. Science stream in 12th is often paired with subjects such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Biology, Psychology, Physical Education, Home Science, etc. Leading universities such as IITs, University of Delhi, University of Calcutta, etc offer these courses. See the QS world ranks for Indian Universities here.
What to do after 12th Science With Maths?
1. For students with Maths as another subject along with Science, Engineering serves as one of the best options to go for. Engineering is not only a professional course but also holds immense scope for growth. Most popular engineering courses are- Bachelor of Technology (4 years), Master of Technology (2 years) and PhD (3 years) in the fields of Information and Technology, Mechanical, Electronics, Computer Science, Chemical, Biotechnology, Food Technology, etc. Find a complete list here. Read about studying IT in USA.
2. Then there are other options such as Bachelor of Science courses in any subject of your interest, Architecture and Planning, Interior Designing, etc. Read about studying Architecture in Australia
3. For those with Computer Science, BCA or Bachelors of Computer Applications is a good option.
What to do after 12th Science Without Maths?
1. For those with Biology as the additional subject, there is again a wide range of options. Two conventional courses that all Biology students aim for are MBBS and BDS. Read about the Best Medical Colleges Abroad. Here is a list of all Medical courses to pursue after 12th in Science Stream.
2. Apart from them are Bachelor of Pharmacy, Pharm D or Doctor of Pharmacy, Bachelor of Science in Biology, Biotechnology, Healthcare, Nursing, Physiotherapy etc.
Other options to pursue are Armed Forces, Merchant Navy, Commercial Pilot Training, Teaching, Event Planning, Air-hostess Training, Fashion and Technology, etc.
2- What are the Best Commerce Courses After 12th?
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Chartered Accountant (CA)
- Company Secretary (CS)
- Bachelor of Economics (B.E)
- Bachelor of Business Economics (B.BE)
- Business Marketing
The commerce students who wish to make a career in the field of Finance, Accounting, Business, etc can opt for the following courses after 12th. Check out the Top Commerce Colleges in India.
Bachelors of Commerce or B.Com and Bachelor of Business Administration: Two of the conventional course for any commerce student are B.Com and BBA. Both B.Com and BBA eventually lead to Masters of Business Administration (MBA). With the emphasis on finance, accounts and business studies, these are widely opted by students all over the globe. B.Com covers a wide range of subjects, which are Accountancy, Business Administration, Finance, Economics and Industrial Policies and leads to careers such as MBA, LLB, CA, CS, CFA, International studies, Designing/Merchandising, MBE, M. Com, etc. Contrastingly, BBA is a combination of business academics and professional knowledge packaged with profound exposure. It eventually leads to careers in Marketing, Human Resource, General Management, and Finance, LLB, CFA, etc.
Chartered Accountant (CA) and Company Secretary (CS): CA and CS are the two most revered commerce careers in the field of education. While CA focuses more on accounting and quantitative aptitude, on the other hand, CS focuses more on the corporate functioning of an organization on the basis of laws and practices. CS involves business management, knowledge of the law, accounting, economics as well as business communication. Read CA vs CS
Management Courses: Management careers in Finance, Operations, Marketing, Human Resource, International Business, etc have become range, owing it all to the career-oriented and professional nature of such study programs. Here is a list of all Management courses after Commerce stream.
Banking and Insurance: Since it is the era of startups, business, entrepreneurship, and taxes interest a majority of commerce students. Courses such as Bachelor of Business/Finance Management, Bachelors of Economics, etc are the most sought after. Then there is also the regular Bachelor of Arts Program, that gives you the freedom to study a combination of subjects together.
Marketing: The most important aspect that runs all businesses and startups is their marketing. So, if you are inclined towards making a career in marketing, then you can definitely do that after commerce. For this, maths as an additional subject with the commerce stream is not mandatory.
Digital Marketing: Digital marketing is one of the new-age courses which is gaining popularity among the students in recent years. With digitalization in India moving at a fast pace, digital marketing is all set for the future. Read here to know more about digital marketing as a career choice and how you can pursue it.
3- What are the Best Arts and Humanities Courses After 12th?
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A)
- Bachelor of Law (BA LLB)
- Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication (BJMC)
Just like the Science students, the students who opted for Humanities in their higher secondary have a myriad of options to choose from.
- Language and Literature: If you are inclined towards language and literature, then you would prefer Bachelors in Arts in any language such as French, Sanskrit, Hindi, Spanish, German or even English Literature.
- Performative Arts: Dancing, Painting, Music, etc.
- Social Sciences: Bachelors of Arts in History, Geography, Social Work, Political Science, Philosophy, etc are some options to consider.
- Gaming, Animation, Jewelry designing, etc. Find a complete list of Arts courses here.
- Bachelor of Law (LLB): We all know the importance of judiciary and legislature in the functioning of a country. Thus, an LLB course with a specialization, if you are interested in, will help you become a lawyer. Lawyers or legal advisers in the field of politics, governance, corporate, private institutions, etc are one of the most sought-after profession.
- Visual Arts: Film-studies, Acting, Screenwriting, Radio, etc are some different courses that must be explored.
- Media, Journalism, and Mass Communication: If you wish to make a career in media, be it social or other digital media, press, etc, then there are several media and mass communication courses you can opt for. One of the most common course is Journalism, which has several branches such as new media, TV,radio, etc. Then there is mass communication courses that offer careers in various domains. If you are a media or communication course graduate, you can step into almost any field be it politics, governance, corporate, public sector, etc.
- Tourism and Hospitality: If you wish to pursue a career in either the tourism or hospitality industry, then Tour and Travel Management, Hotel Management, Culinary Arts, etc are courses that you ought to try.
Estimated Salary for Graduates After 12th
The ultimate goal of all graduate studies is to find a suitable job that not only utilities your knowledge but helps you become independent financially. These are the expected salary ranges for some of the course after 12th.
The estimated salary range or scope for science graduates is between INR 2-5 Lakhs initially, which can later steer up to multiple digits. Jobs with a bright future in sciences such as nurses, doctors, engineers, science professors, scientists, science experts, etc can make the most out of their education. Here, your course, marks and campus or off-campus placement are vital factors to determine your first salary.
- B. Sc graduates: INR 2-4 Lakhs
- Nurses: INR 2-4 Lakhs
- Engineers: INR 2-5 Lakhs
- Doctors: INR 2-3 Lakhs
- Dentists: INR 2-3 Lakhs
For commerce graduates, the job scope starts with an initial of INR 2 Lakhs and goes up to INR 3 or 4 Lakhs. These jobs generally include practice as a CA or a CS, accountant, business analyst, strategists, etc. However, most of the students tend to pursue MBA course after the undergraduate courses to boost their education as well as salary package.
- CA: INR 2-4 Lakhs
- CS: INR 2-4 Lakhs
- BBA graduate: INR 3-4 Lakhs
- B.Com graduate: INR 3-4 Lakhs
In the context of the arts or humanities graduates, the employment opportunities spring salary packages worth INR 2 to 6 Lakhs. These include lawyers, writers, animation expert, event planners, designers, language teachers, etc. Since the art courses have a lot of scope, you can always diversify your line of interest and make your profile even more interesting.
- Law graduate/ Lawyer: INR 5-7 Lakhs
- Visual Arts graduate: INR 2-3 Lakhs
- Performing Arts graduate: INR 2-4 Lakhs
- Literature graduate: INR 2-4 Lakhs
- Animations graduate: INR 2-3 Lakhs
- Hospitality graduate: INR 2-5 Lakhs
- Aviation graduate: INR 2-5 Lakhs
- Hotel Management: INR 2-5 Lakhs
- Language graduate: INR 3-6 Lakhs
Study Abroad after 12th
Apart from the above-mentioned courses that you can pursue in India, there is an unexplored territory of education overseas. It is now a trend to pursue higher education and all for the right reasons. Some of the reasons that you should give study abroad a shot after completing your 12th grade are as follows:
Why Study Abroad?
- Conventional as well as Unconventional Courses on the Platter: If you wish to consider options for mainstream as well as unconventional courses, then you must definitely consider studying abroad.
- An equilibrium between Academics and Professional Exposure: Study abroad promises the best combination of academic as well as professional engagement, through internships and work engagements.
- Employment Opportunities: The job scenario for most courses abroad is extremely bright and promising.
- Global Relevance of Course: Then, there definitely is international recognition.
- Modern Facilities: Lastly, the add-on facilities are modern teaching technologies, diverse student population, better exposure, etc.
If you plan to study abroad after 12th, then here is a list of the Top In-Demand Courses Abroad, which also feature in Forbes’ List of Top 10 Highest Paid Jobs Abroad.
Engineering and Technology:
The first name that pops up when thinking of professional courses is Engineering. It has been the ‘go-to’ professional for decades now. Information and Technology, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, etc have been on the top. However, with the advent of technological revolution, several other engineering courses such as Chemical, Electrical, Nano Technology have become recent favorites. These are among the leading engineering and technology institutes as per the QS Rankings.
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), US
2. University of Cambridge, UK
3. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (NTU)
4.ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
Computer Science, Information Systems and Data Sciences
With a rise in the usage of smart devices, the market for computer science has expanded immensely. Courses such as Machine Learning, Data Sciences, Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence, etc are very much in demand in the job market abroad. Computer Science schools at the following universities have aced QS world rankings.
1. Harvard University
4. Oxford University
6.Carnegie Mellon University
Accounting and Finance
Entrepreneurship, Banking, Management, Insurance, International Business, etc are the most trending commerce courses abroad. It is not only because of the extreme dependence of business and finance, but also for the grave need for experts in this field. The following schools lead the business domain in education internationally. Check the university world ranks here.
1.London School of Business
3.Stanford School of Business
6.Yale School of Management
7.University of Melbourne
8.National University of Singapore
Healthcare and Pharmacy
Healthcare and Pharmacy is the next big thing in the international market. With increasing researches and studies in the field of natural sciences and allied sciences, there is a significant rise in the need for such professionals. Following this trend, enrollments into nursing, dentistry, therapy courses has increased. The following universities offer a wide range of healthcare and pharmacy courses that are sure to set your future right.
4.John Hopkins University
5.University College London
6.University of Toronto
Check out the university rankings here.
Now that you have these best courses as per your 12th stream and subject combinations ready, you should start collecting your education certificates and plan your university applications. While choosing the course and university, keep in mind the following:
- Your interest in the Subject
- Growth and Scope of the Subject
- Careers in Line with the Subject
- Job Opportunities
- Academic and Professional standing of the University Graduates
After all these points have been check, lastly ask yourself, Is this the best course for me? And if you feel an inner calling for it, then go ahead.